Sunday, December 26, 2010

Home made chest rub

coconut oil
peppermint oil
eucalyptus oil

Add drops of the two essential oils to the coconut oil until it smells somewhat like Vicks.  We do not use Vicks due to the petroleum content, and the satisfaction of using my own recipe to heal.  Yes, quality oils are an investment, but you use very little per batch so in the "end" it works out well.

note:  oils are used at no stronger than 4% essential oil to a carrier oil. 4% works out to be 2 teaspoons essential oil to 1 cup oil,  or 1/2 teas essential oil to 1/4 cup carrier oil. That would be the STRONGEST you would want to make it, for a toddler you may want to make it weaker.

When the kids had a nasty cold, I would spread this on their chests, back and generously slather on the soles of their feet, followed by cushy socks.  The feet's ability to absorb is tremendous.  

1 comment:

  1. This is great! I do use Vick's but didn't know how to make my own. My family thinks I'm weird but I *love* the smell, lol. And it works wonders for a cough when put on the feet like you said. I'll have to give this recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete