Tuesday, October 26, 2010

~Make your own mix: Cocoa edition~

Today I am mixing up a simple dry hot cocoa mix. The packets are only a dollar for 10, but I've got 5 children here, so they are gone in no time. Now this mix here is really a deal! I can make it once and have it last quite a while, no need to throw it in my cart each week. I really enjoy being able to "make my own groceries" when possible out of simple ingredients that I can stock up on. I was really into that a couple years back and have lost my gusto, though I am getting it back. I am stocking my pantry for the winter and holidays and I feel such satisfaction from that. This mix is from Alton Brown on Food Network.




Hot Cocoa


Recipe courtesy Alton Brown


Serves:


5 1/2 cups dry mix


Ingredients


* 2 cups powdered sugar
* 1 cup cocoa (Dutch-process preferred)
* 2 1/2 cups powdered milk
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 2 teaspoons cornstarch
* 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or more to taste
* Hot water


Directions


Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and incorporate evenly. In a small pot, heat 4 to 6 cups of water.


Fill your mug half full with the mixture and pour in hot water. Stir to combine. Seal the rest in an airtight container, keeps indefinitely in the pantry. This also works great with warm milk.

Another fun thing to do is top with some whipped cream and lightly dust with cinnamon or nutmeg.  My children love it when I let them have a candy cane to stir their hot cocoa with during the holidays.  What a rich treat, and it thrills them so.  

P.S. To make it easier to stay in line with my WW points I buy myself the Swiss Miss fat free packets.  It lasts a lot longer when just for one or two.  ;0)

No comments:

Post a Comment