Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Fruit of the Season

I am recycling this past blog of mine from last year since Fall is fully upon us. I decided to keep my home making hands busy and make my own pumpkin puree! The first thing I did was choose two small sized sugar pumpkins.

I then cut a slice off the top to remove the stems, and sliced each pumpkin in half. Next, remove the seeds and pulp with a strong spoon.

Place on a roasting pan, in a 350 degree oven to roast for 45 minutes or until tender.

Once they cool, it will be easy to peel the skin off. Take the pumpkin and blend thoroughly in a food processor until smooth and beautiful.

Now look at the beautiful color you have in front of you! Scoop one cup at a time into a quart ziploc and freeze for convenience in making breads, cookies or pies throughout the year.

Here is a peek at my pureed pumpkin. I got 8-1/2 Cups out of two small pumpkins from the farm. Total cost $2 and some effort. I'm pretty happy, and it's so much prettier looking than the canned stuff.


Next time I would prefer to do 4 pumpkins, and store them 2 cups at a time in bigger ziplocs! Just to get the most out of the session.

Don't forget to clean up and roast those seeds with some coarse Kosher salt....YUM!!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this post! I have a pie pumpkin sitting on my table right now & I was going to have to scour the internet to figure out exactly what I needed to do with it. :-)

    ReplyDelete