Monday, August 9, 2010

Miserly meal number one

Tonight's menu is Jam chicken and oven roasted vegetables right out of Jonni McCoy's Miserly Meals. Also, I am making a beer bread to go along with it. This beer bread I had a good year or maybe even TWO *gasp!* It's still sealed and perfectly good, so I mixed it up and popped it in the oven. It looks GREAT!! The beer was even free because our landlord (the guy, not the wife...LOL) gave us 4 bottles last night because he didn't like these. They are from Great Lakes brewing Co. and honestly, I tasted some, it's kind of bitter.....so perfect for the bread hopefully ;-) I am not really counting the bread toward the cost of this meal since I have had it for so long.

For the Jam chicken on Page 80, Jonni says it's .66 cents for a 1/4 lb. serving. This was in 2002, however, my guesstimate for today based on my shopping is .88, which is not too shabby at all!

As for the oven-roasted veggies on page 72, .57 per 3/4 Cup serving is the winning number. According to my experience, it is more like $1.00, which we have to admit, is pretty decent.

I said I wasn't going to mention the beer bread, but for curiosity's sake (watch out cat!) the total batch is $4, with 14 servings, coming out to slightly over .25 per serving, (and no I am not obsessive) including the beer as if we had bought it. Honestly, WHO are they kidding??? This really is going to be 7 servings, so let's call it .50.

Here is a pretty little plate for a hungry tummy, for the grand total of $2.38. Of course, we are feeding seven, but when you put it that way, it sure puts things in perspective. Also, since the beer bread was free, we could just call it $1.88. WOW.

1 comment:

  1. Jenn, I tried to contact you via email about your comment on the pen friends blog saying you would like some more pen pals. But the email address on your profile page did not work. If you are interested in corresponding, leave me a comment with your email address and I'll contact you. :-)

    ReplyDelete