Thursday, October 20, 2005

Could it be?

Chicken Pox?!!! It's been 10 years since I've laid eyes on Chicken Pox. It stormed our house in 1995 when it first infected Autumn's cousin, moved on to Autumn, and then waged war on 6 month old Felicia. The thought of a vaccination seemed so welcome.

We've since had 4 boys and not one of them has had to suffer with the itching & scarring so many of us remember not so fondly. Well, that's all changed. Last Sunday in church, when we were picking up the boys we were told Aiden had a rash. A pediatrician was called down to the nursery to check him out and she thought it was probablly chicken pox. I was mortified! I felt so bad. He did have a few bumps on his face, but I hadn't thought anything of it. For one thing, all of our boys have majorly sensitive skin, and Daniel gets bumps/rashes often. If he gets a common cold and has a fever, he will break out from it in blister type bumps. He never seems any worse for it, it just looks bad. I guess I had gotten so accustomed to that, that a few bumps on Aiden's face didn't impress me one way or the other.

We took Aiden to the pediatrician's yesterday and I showed the rash to the doctor. He didnt' seem to be worried about it until I kept pressing him. I really wanted to know if it was or wasn't chicken pox so I could let the church nursery know like they had asked me to do. Finally he studied them really seriously with his light and said that it COULD be chicken pox and asked me to bring him back on Friday to re-check him. It really is different from the Chicken Pox I remember, the one that took over our whole body and made us miserable. This kid seems perfectly healthy other than the runny nose we all are dealing with and the rash. The rash is pretty contained and only started spreading yesterday. I wonder why it is so slow moving!? Is it really Chicken Pox? Why wouldn't the doctor have known right away? hmmmmm...... For now, he is being quarrantined until the doctor is sure he isn't contagious.

No comments:

Post a Comment