Saturday, September 18, 2010

When the harvest comes in, can some salsa!



This is a salsa recipe I found online and have used for a couple years now. We love the fresh taste of this when cold packed, so GOOD! I use a HUGE 13 qt stainless steel bowl for this recipe.

About 6 pounds chopped tomatoes
About 2 pounds chopped green bell peppers
About 2 pounds chopped onions
2-5 hot peppers, minced (homegrown ones tend to be spicier so use your best judgement)
2/3 c. apple cider vinegar
2/3 c. fresh lime juice (about 4 limes)
lots of fresh chopped cilantro, to taste
1 tablespoon of ground cumin, or to taste
1 tablespoon (or more) of moist grey sea salt


Here's how I do it: First I pick everything...the tomatoes, bell peppers, hot peppers and cilantro all come from our garden, and this year since we don't have a garden, when the harvest comes in faster than the farmers know what to do with it and the price drops as low as it's going to go, I will buy it then. ;-)

Next, I core all the tomatoes and then I chop them in batches in the food processor...I just pulse the processor 3-6 times depending on how small I want the chop to be.

Then I put them in a big colander to drain the juice off.

Next, I process the bell peppers and put them in a BIG bowl.

Then I process the onions and hot peppers together.

Then I add the chopped onions and hot peppers to the bell peppers in the BIG bowl.

By this time the tomatoes should be drained enough (save the juicee for some yummy drinking later on!), add them to the big bowl along with the vinegar, lime juice, the cilantro, cumin, and the salt.

Mix Well!

We prefer the taste of a raw pack method, if you want you can cook the salsa, boil it for about 10 minutes and then put it into jars :-) Ladle Salsa into hot sterilized jars and leave 1/4 inch head space. Add the 2 piece lid and process for 30 minutes using the boiling water canning method. Yield: 3 Quarts

No comments:

Post a Comment