Tuesday, September 7, 2010

~The best laid schemes of mice and men often go askew~

Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails.
Proverbs 19:21


My well laid plans have been put to rest. We moved into our new home with the help of our new friends and set up rather quickly. Unfortunately, immediately following move-in, on Sunday, August 29th, a flare up began.

I don't talk about it often, as I allow myself to forget about it when I am not constantly physically reminded, so for any who may not know, I was diagnosed with MS 3 years ago. May 10th of 2007.

It was our 12th wedding anniversary this day last weekend, and it began with numbness on part of my left foot. Now, a week later I am experiencing almost total body numbness/tingling. The only places not affected are my upper arms, collarbone area, neck and face/head. Thankfully it's mild enough and not total numbness so that I can still do the everyday things. It's just that things like typing is more cumbersome, washing dishes gets tiring, as well as stairs and that type of thing. The crazy part is not "looking" sick and people not realizing you are having an issue.

I thought long and hard, and was already struggling last year with the fatigue and lack of energy I can deal with at times, and decided last minute to sign the kids up for school. On Friday I grabbed my very organized binder with all of our documentation (birth certs, SS cards, immunization and physical sheets etc,..) and ran down to our district (which I've been hearing is very good) and signed the 3 littles up for K, 2nd and 4th grade. They get a bus which comes to our door and may start tomorrow. I have to call and make sure this afternoon, since it was last minute, they may have to wait an extra day.

I am coming to the realization that there are different ways of doing things, and that which cannot be accomplished one way can still be accomplished another. Instead of tormenting myself I am being compassionate to myself finally, and allowing God to do HIS work no matter where we find ourselves, we will bloom where we are planted, and I will be as mightily involved as God wills me to be.

Robert Burns said it best when he spoke To a Mouse so poetically, "The best laid schemes of mice and men often go askew."

2 comments:

  1. My daughter deals with the same kind of thing as far as not looking sick so people don't always understand when she can't do something. I don't blame you one bit for putting the kids in school. You are right. What can't be done one way can be done another.

    Wish I was there ~ I'd help you unpack and get settled!

    We are heading to Vanderbilt hospital today with dd. She has a long awaited appointment with a gastrointerologist. I really hope we can find out what is going on with her stomach as she can hardly eat a thing.

    Hope you feel better soon! (Hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your support, dear friend. I am sorry your daughter has to deal with such physical hardship at such a tender age. I hope and pray that a doctor is sent your way with wisdom fpr accurately diagnosing and finding a solution for her.

    ReplyDelete