Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Celebrating 14 years

Hello friends!  It's been awhile!!  We changed our wedding anniversary plans.  Each year we go out to a dinner or a movie and dinner......boring!  This year since we have been working on our fitness I had the idea to schedule a photo shoot, to give us a tangible memory as well as celebrate our weight loss.

Something I've always wanted to do was ride horses, so we opted to change our plans from the photo session, which would have also cost a lot more also in the end, to an adventure date consisting of a night at a bed and breakfast of a working horse ranch, followed by a breakfast, a 20 minute lesson,  and 90 minutes of trail riding.


Our cabin for the night




We arrived in the dark, after Mike's full day at work, so we couldn't appreciate the beauty of the drive or the ranch until the next morning.  We did arrive armed with some organic dark chocolate and wine to see us through the evening.  ;0) 

The next morning at 9am we showed up for breakfast which was set up outdoors on the porch of the main house.  A nice long table with pitchers of water was set up and then another area where the food was lined up, covered.  There was cereal and milk, yogurt, coffee, a ham, cheese and egg casserole as well as pancakes with strawberries and whipped cream.

Beautiful boy

Some of the horses


A couple more beauties






We then walked down to watch the horses be prepared.  We had our short lesson, practiced in the arena and the lined up in formation to take to the trails!  Mike was third in line and I was behind him.


I rode Blade
Mike rode Casey


 What a wonderful memory we made that day.  I much prefer activity like this to the same 'ol same 'ol.  This is something I have *always* wanted to do but could never afford as a child or young adult.  Then, I simply was too heavy.  It is a wonderful freeing feeling to be able to have choices and not be held back from doing what I really want to do!  I still have a way to go with my weight loss, but I would not have DREAMED of doing this last year.   Correction:  I could have ONLY DREAMED of doing this last year.  This year after gaining some fitness I was able to DO IT!




1 comment:

  1. You go girl!!! That sounds like such a wonderful trip and how fun to stay in a cute little cabin. You guys both look like naturals on those horses. They are such beautiful animals!! Happy Anniversary you guys...you are such a sweet loving couple with a beautiful family!!
    Much love to you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete